Statics

Printer-friendly version
Title: 
Statics
Course ID: 
ΜΗ0102
Course Description: 
Semester: 
2nd
Διδάσκων: 
ΕCTS: 
4,5
Compulsory
Description: 

Basic principles of statics, force and moment in two dimensions (2D), resultant force and moment in plane, couple of forces, force and moment in three dimensions (3D), space resultant force and moment, equilibrium (balance) in 2 and 3 dimensions, construction of free-body diagram, trusses, centroids, moment of inertia, beams - external forces, beams - internal forces, construction of N, Q, M diagrams, frames, machines, cables.

Course Goals for the Students:

  • Develop a high level of understanding of the fundamental principles of applied mechanics and the modeling of force systems in engineering statics.
  • Demonstrate an integrated understanding of engineering statics principles through applications involving problem solving and through creation of design solutions to engineering scenarios.
  • Work cooperatively with others to facilitate a collegial atmosphere conducive to learning for all students in the class.
  • Prepare for and attend each class by reading the assigned sections before class, completing homework before class, and actively participating in class.
  • Upon successful completion of this course, you should be able to do the following:
    • Prepare appropriate free body diagrams.
    • Solve 2-D and 3-D particle and rigid body equilibrium problems.
    • Solve problems involving moments.
    • Solve problems involving friction.
    • Calculate shear and bending moment diagrams in beams.

Course Goals for the Instructor:

  • To provide all students the tools necessary to succeed in their pursuit of a deeper understanding of the principles of applied mechanics and the modeling of force systems in engineering statics.
  • To provide all students with an atmosphere conducive to learning.
  • To provide sufficient feedback, enabling students to gauge their progress towards achieving their goal in acquiring a mastery of the principles of engineering statics.
  • To facilitate student learning through the use of appropriate technology and the illustration of statics applications in the real world.
Class schedule: 
Thursday 12.00 - 15.00
Assessment methods: 

Grading will be determined on two exams: a mid-term exam at the half of the semester and a final exam. Mid-term exam covers the first 40 % of the topics of the course while the final exam covers the rest 60 % of the topics. The students that fail the course will be re-examined in September at the whole topic of the course (100 %).

The course grade will be calculated as follows:

(Mid-term exam 40 %)    +   (Final exam 60 %)    = (Total 100 %)

Exam in September covers the whole topic of the course 100 %

Notes per week

 

Summary of lectures

1. Basic principles of statics

2. Force and moment in two dimensions (2D)

3. Resultant force and moment in plane, couple of forces

4. Force and moment in three dimensions (3D)

5. Space resultant force and moment

6. Equilibrium (balance) in 2 and 3 dimensions, construction of free-body diagram

7. Trusses

8. Centroids, moment of inertia

9. Beams, external forces

10. Beams, internal forces, construction of N, Q, M diagrams

11. Frames, machines

12. Cables

13. Friction